مصر
    المهنة
    student
    الجنس
    ذكر
    المشاركات

present simple

Simple Present (Present Simple) - Introduction

Simple present is also called present simple.

The simple present expresses an action in the present taking place once, never or several times. It is also used for actions that take place one after another and for actions that are set by a timetable or schedule. The simple present also expresses facts in the present.
    Simple Present - Form

be

Use:
    • am with the personal pronoun II
    • is with the personal pronouns he, she or it (or with the singular form of nouns)
    • are with the personal pronouns we, you or they (or with the plural form of nouns)
    example: I am hungry.
    affirmativenegativequestionII am.I am not.Am I?he/she/itHe is.He is not.Is he?you/we/theyYou are.You are not.Are you?

have

Use:
    • have with the personal pronouns I, you, we und they (or with the plural form of nouns)
    • has with the personal pronouns he, she, it (or with the singular form of nouns)
    example: I have a dog. / I have got a dog.
    'have got' is mainly used in British English. You can also use 'have' on its own (especially in American English). In this case, however, you must form negative sentences and questions with the auxiliary verb 'do' (see 'All other verbs').
    positivnegativquestionI/you/we/theyI have got. / I have.I have not got. / I do not have.Have I got? / Do I have?he/she/itHe has got. / He has.He has not got. / He does not have.Has he got? / Does he have?

All other verbs

Use:
    • the infinite verb (play) with the personal pronouns I, you, we and they (or with the plural form of nouns)
    • the verb + s (plays) with the personal pronouns he, she, it (or with the singular form of nouns)
    affirmativenegativequestionI/you/we/theyI play.I do not play.Do I play?he/she/itHe plays.He does not play.Does he play?Simple Present - Exceptions in Spelling

The 3rd person singular is usually formed by adding s. But there are a few exceptions to the rule:

The verbs can, may, might, must remain the same in all forms. So don't add s.

example: he can, she may, it must
    Verbs ending in o or a sibilant (ch, sh, s, x) add es instead of s.

example: do - he does, wash - she washes
    A final y after a consonant becomes ie before s.

example: worry - he worries
    But: A final y after a vowel (a, e, i, o, u) is not modified.

مواضيع مشابهة:
    التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة aouniat ; 02-05-2007 الساعة 01:29 AM

2.    روابط المنتدى

تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2006
    الدولة
    مصر
    المهنة
    student
    الجنس
    ذكر
    المشاركات

مشاركة: present simple

Simple Present - Use

facts (something is generally known to be true)

The sun sets in the west.The sun never sets in the east or south or north, but always in the west.

action in the present taking place once, never or several times

Colin always plays soccer on Tuesdays.Colin plays football regularly - every Tuesday.
    In English, signal words are often used, e.g.: always, never, seldom, often, regularly, every Monday.

actions in the present taking place one after another

She takes her bag and leaves.First one action takes place and then the other.

action set by a time table or schedule

The train leaves at 9 pm.Although the action takes place in the future, it takes place regularly and is set by a time table.

verbs expressing states, possession, senses, emotions and mental activityl:

I love her. Ich liebe sie.

When you love someone, that's a state, a fact or emotion, but not an action (like running for example). Whenever you want to express a state, possession, sense or emotions, use the simple form (not the progressive). The following words all belong to this group:
    • be (state)
    • believe (mental activity)
    • belong (possession)
    • hate (feeling and emotion)
    • hear (senses)
    • like (feeling and emotion)
    • love (feeling and emotion)
    • mean (mental activity)
    • prefer (mental activity)
    • remain (state)
    • realize (mental activity)
    • see (senses)