المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : The story of goodbye

i love agriculture
28-04-2009, 11:16 PM
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/art/book_left2.gif
good-bye

muchoinfo.com"] ("http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/lsutherland[at)Lee Sutherland wrote:

I've heard more than once that goodbye is a contraction of "God be with ye," and even that it was a slang word that came into wide use while being strongly frowned upon by upright Christian citizens. Where does it really come from?

Yes, goodbye (or good-bye) is a contraction of "God be with ye (you)." The first use of a contracted form of "God be with ye" is recorded in a letter written by Gabriel Harvey in 1575: "To requite your gallonde of godbwyes, I regive you a pottle of howedyes." From the 16th to the 18th century, this contraction was spelled in many different ways: godbwye, god b'uy, god buye, god b'wy. The change from god to good, reflected in the spelling good-bye/good-by, was not fully established until the beginning of the 19th century, probably influenced by previously existing phrases such as "good day" and "good night."
Another example of the change from god to good is Good Friday, originally written god Friday, and literally meaning 'holy or sacred Friday'. But why the change from god to good? Though derived from different Indo-European roots, the words god/God and good were usually spelled identically (as god) in Middle English, and so there was confusion and overlap between these two words. The spelling good first appeared about 1250, becoming the established spelling about 1450. Adding to the confusion was the obvious notion that God is good.
According to the century-old Century Dictionary, good-bye was "originally a pious form of valediction, used in its full significance, but now a mere conventional formula without meaning, used at parting." Actually good-bye was a rather new English word at the time the Pilgrims sailed for America. According to Stuart Flexner, former editor-in-chief of Random House Dictionaries, "Slang is as old as English itself...American kids have been speaking a language of their own since they annoyed their Pilgrim parents at Plymouth Rock...It offended Puritan parents that their Pilgrim children took their traditional farewell--God be with you--and turned it into good-bye."

i love agriculture
14-05-2009, 03:33 PM
شكرا لمرورك ست سيترس.............................. ................................... ..

i love agriculture
15-05-2009, 10:16 PM
نرجوا من الاخ مصعب الاطلاع على الموضوع ونحن لا ندافع عن شيئ الا المعرفة الصحيحة.