ÇáãÓÇÚÏ ÇáÔÎÕí ÇáÑÞãí

ãÔÇåÏÉ ÇáäÓÎÉ ßÇãáÉ : For Saudis only

i love agriculture
14-04-2009, 03:00 PM
For Saudis only

‘You are unemployable,’ said the young man sitting behind the old desk as he was returning my resume.

I looked at him desperately. He rose, ending my interview. I stood up on my shaking feet and looked to the other side to hide hot tears about to spill. I took my well prepared resume .With all the dignity I could master,
I mumbled ‘Thanks,’ turned, and hurried out of the office

Getting into my car, I leaned on the wheel and let the tears flow. HELP ME, GOD, I prayed.

‘I am 35 years old, recently married and my wife is expecting our first baby .I have been looking for a job for a long time. I need money to support my family. O, God, I need a job now to put food on the table and to pay for the hospital and prepare the baby stuff.’ I prayed

It was a hot summer afternoon that you could fry an egg down the street. Reluctant to go home and tell my wife of this latest failed interview
I drove down Tahlyah Street and back and parked in the only shady space. I leaned my head on the wheel again.

I had called all the major companies in town. I had answered all the newspaper ads. I had asked everyone I knew to tell me of any chance.

In more than thirty interviews, I had been told I was unqualified though I had a university degree. I was told to go to training centers to train for a job but I didn’t have enough money to pay for the expensive center and I couldn’t wait to finish the six- month training because I needed money to put food on the table and to prepare for the new comer in a four- week time. Unqualified for thirty times despite recent laws giving priority to Saudis. Thirty times despite all the newspaper adds ‘ ONLY FOR SAUDIS,’

‘Unqualified’, the man had said. What if I were? What if I couldn’t find a job before the new comer arrived, before the last ten riyals flew away.
What would happen to my wife and to my baby?
‘God, help me, shows me what to do. I did my part, am waiting for your help and support.’ I prayed.

It was almost five o’clock, Shops were opening again. I was struggling with my tears. I couldn’t go back to my wife with this bad news. I couldn’t imagine lending money from relatives and friends again. ‘How can I repay,’I thought. Blotting my tears, I saw that I was parked in front of a shabby building .A sign over a small door between two stores read ‘Bandar Services.’

In near desperation I left the car and walked towards the sign. Following a faded arrow, I stepped inside and climbed steep stairs. I walked into a plainly furnished office. A young man about my age sat at an old wooden desk... Talking on the phone, he waved to me to sit down.

When he finished the call, he smiled and said’ I always have a cup of tea before I start work... Would you like one?
‘Yes, please,’ I answered.

I watched him as he was making tea. He brought me a mug, sat down and put his feet up on the low table in front of us.
‘ I don’t know why, but hot tea makes me feel better, even in summer. My name is Bandar. How I can help you? He asked.

Suddenly words tumbled out. I told him my story from A to Z. He listened quietly .He smiled at me and said’ unqualified, the same word I used to hear before.’ for Saudis only,’ he added and laughed.” That’s what made me start this small business and thanks god, now I don’t read those words again.” He said happily. I handed him my resume but he didn’t touch it and said”I don’t want papers, but I need someone to help me in the office work. What do you think you can do best in an office?’ asked he. “I am told I write letters well, I am good at organizing. I learn fast and am patient “ I told him.

Minutes passed. He finished his tea. Then he turned to me, looked at me in the eyes and said “dear, you have the most important qualifications an employer looks for. You are honest, you need work and you seem to be serious and patient. There is a place for you here but don expect much money at the beginning. Things grow gradually.”

Could this be true? Bandar believed in me.
He didn see me unqualified. He didn’t look at my resume” I said to my self.
He rose . I followed him. He told me not to worry. He went to the desk and brought a paper . “have a look .you can also take it home and read it carefully if you wish.” said he . I looked at the paper . It was a contract. I didn mean to read a word but I found myself looking for the line where the number of the salary was .” 2000 , not enough but better than nothing.” Said to myself.

‘ not enough FOR SAUDIS. Yeah, but getting a job is better than the money.”He laughed “everything starts small then grows up” he added. I found myself signing the paper unwillingly. I needed the job and the money but I couldn’t wait for 4 weeks to get the little money. I handed the paper to him. He went back to the desk and brought something in his hand.

“A month salary in advance.” he said, handing the money to me. I was struggling hot tears that threaten to spill.” expecting you tomorrow on time “he said.

It took me minutes to be aware of what was going on. That fateful day that failure interview, that
One little space that led me here. My wife, the bad news I was afraid to tell my wife, unqualified and FOR SAUDIS ONLY.